Tuesday, March 21, 2006

BOB BUNTING, RIP
I received news earlier today that Bob Bunting passed away this past Saturday. Brother Bunting dedicated his life to preaching the word of God, and touched countless lives. He deliberately chose many smaller, more obscure works in order to help where he would be needed the most. He was someone who deserved far more recognition and appreciation than he received. If anyone should have been on the meeting and lecture circuit it was brother Bunting. A native of Michigan, over the years he preached in Camden, SC; New Jersey; Hueytown, Alabama; Murfreesboro, Tennessee; and finally, Bartlett, Tennessee. He was a true Southern gentleman.

It was in Bartlett that I first met him when I traveled there to court my future wife. He and his wife were kind enough to open their home to me one summer. The following December he officiated our wedding.

Brother Bunting was always a model of Christian conduct, Biblical scholarship and pulpit practicality. After retiring from full time preaching, he remained at Bartlett to serve as an elder, finally resigning due to age and failing health. He moved to Middle Tennessee with his wife Sara Bain to live out his remaining years.

As long as I knew him Bob was being told he was dying and near death. But he never would die. He kept preaching and kept working. His doctor once told him that there must be a good reason why he was still alive because he shouldn't be. From time to time word would reach us that Bob was near death. Weeks and month would pass and still he held on. In the end, I believe, death was welcome. As with Paul, to live is Christ, to die is gain.

Robert Bunting will be laid to rest on Wednesday. Regrettably I will be unable to attend the funeral as I will be in Oregon until Thursday. Please remember his wife, Sara Bain, and their children in your prayers.

The picture is from June 2004 when brother Bunting gave a weekend lectureship at the Westvue congregation in Murfreesboro. It was the last time I saw him, and it is the way I will remember him: preaching on preaching. From left is my brother-in-law Mitch Stevens, me, Bob Bunting and Rick Duggin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has certainly earned his reward. What a useful worker for the Lord he was. The workers are few, but he was one of the few who went.

Joel

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful post you dedicated to him. I will pray for strength for his family and friends.

God be with you.

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing a bit of his life work for the Lord. I will pray for the Lord to give his family strength and that you have a safe trip back home.